5 years ago, we were so excited to find a laundry soap recipe that we could make for pennies for our family. We LOVE the fact that we save so much money on just that alone in our budget. I mean think about it, how much laundry soap is needed for 10 people!!!
We do make our soap about every 3 months. But, for a smaller family this could last you 6-12 months.
- 5 gallon bucket (reusable for additional batches) I picked mine up at the Chino Valley Ace Hardware
- 1 whole bar of soap (used Ivory- it was really soft and easy to grate)
- 1 cup Washing Soda – I found this at Chino Valley Ace Hardware (not at Walgreens or Safeway)
- 1/2 cup Borax – Found this at both Safeway and at Ace Hardware
- 3 Gallons (48 cups of water) plus
4 additional cups of water
- 1 tablespoon Essential Oil (OPTIONAL) – I used some older stuff that I had… my next batch will only have about 20 drops of Young Living Oils in it.
- Boil 4 cups of water
- Grate bar of soap and add to boiling water
- Stir until dissolved (took about 4 minutes.)
- Add 3 Gallons of warm / hot water to your 5 gallon bucket. (3 gallons = 48 Cups)
- Add the dissloved soap to the bucket and stir
- Add 1 cup of washing soap and stir for 2+ minutes with a long handled spoon until dissolved
- Add 1/2 cup borax and stir until dissolved (about 3 minutes)
- OPTIONAL: add 1T of essential oil and stir.
- Place lid on tight and let it sit overnight.