Welcome to 2016! And Happy 12th day of Christmas!!
This year on our homestead, we are working really hard to get self sustaining and be able to offer more animals, produce and eggs to our friends. It has been a great year! We have pressed the “easy” button and made life simpler which is this busy mama’s long term hope for the family. (And by simpler, I do not mean easier, but rather slowing down the CRAZY and drinking iced tea on my porch, watching chickens peck the ground and kids playing outside.)
What are our goals for our homestead this year? We know that most of these won’t happen this year… but we are all hopeful.
- add tilapia to our aquaponics system (right now, we have just goldfish in there.)
- add an additional aquaponics system
- Add a solar system to the aquaponics system(s)
- build another greenhouse
- build a smoke house
- add 5 more raised garden beds to our garden
- build additional quail house to house at least 150 more quail
- purchase a second cabinet incubator for all of the eggs that we have been hatching
- publish 2 more books
- plant and tend our garden
- not go to the grocery store from May until October (and we are well on out way! I just got a call that our 1/2 steer will be ready to pick up in mid February from the butcher. Our pigs will be going to butcher in March too. My freezers will be FULL!)
- learn to make sour cream and purchase a cheese press to make cheddar
- raise turkeys to sell (we have 80 eggs in the incubator right now.)
- raise coturnix quail to eat weekly for our family
- Continue to homeschool our amazing kids (minus Shelby who is in college and is being joined by Larry in college this spring to get an additional degree)
- continue to offer our home as a foster family for kids who need us
- BE A FAMILY! BE TOGETHER! SHARE OUR LOVE!