Luke 1:68 – “Praise be to the Lord, the God of
This is a family favorite and it is so very filling. You can make this with cooked chicken, carnitas or ground beef.
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quarthalf-and-half or whole milk
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup carrots finely shredded
- 1 cup spinach leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 pound cooked hamburger
- 16 ounces package ready-to-use gnocchi
- Melt the butter into the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion becomes translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the half-and-half or the whole milk. Simmer until thickened.
- Whisk in the chicken broth. Simmer until thickened again.
- Stir in the thyme, parsley, carrots, spinach, beef, and gnocchi.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the soup is heated through. Before serving, season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Serve with bread and salad.