My sister is AMAZING and gave me this potato soup recipe years ago. It was handwritten on lined paper. Last week in a FRANTIC search, we couldn’t find my favorite potato soup recipe… I called up Jen and asked her if she would send me another copy. She couldn’t find her’s either but did email a quick semi-recipe. ( I LOVE my sister!!!)
Here’s her email!
- 5 pounds+ Potatoes peeled, and cubed
- 1/2 pound carrots – sliced thin
- 1/2 pound celery – sliced
- 1 bell pepper (OPTIONAL) – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion – chopped
- fresh rosemary or basil (you don’t have to use fresh but to me tastes a WHOLE LOT BETTER – Bountiful Basket always has fresh herbs in their add-ons too – You can always dehydrate what you can’t use fresh for later… I have a herb garden throughout my house and garden which includes 3 types of mint, rosemary, 2 types of thyme, 3 types of basil)
- 1 pound bacon chopped
- stick of butter
- 1/2 c flour (we grind our own)
- 1/2 Gallon of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Cheese for top
- add cubed potatoes to a pot of water. Boil for 25 minutes or until tender and slightly mushy
- meanwhile, cook bacon in a pan on low.
- when about 1/2 cooked, add celery, bell pepper, carrots, onions, rosemary, and garlic and simmer until bacon is fully cooked and veggies are tender.
- drain potatoes when finished and set aside.
- in potato pot(no potatoes in here, yet), melt stick of butter and add the 1/2 C Flour. Stir (whisk) into a “rue”. Add your bacon / veggie mixture
- Add milk and stir into a sauce
- Add potatoes
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated cheese on top
This recipe is FANTASTIC (Made it again today!!). Serve in bread bowls or with fresh sourdough loaves and a salad.