3rd batch DONE! WOWWIE! I can not believe that we are in April and I am still on my initial $30 investment on soap. Here is the recipe ALL OVER AGAIN! ENJOY and hopefully you can see the savings that we have. This batch, we added an extra gallon of water to the mixture and it is still feeling and smelling just as clean!
December 28, 2010 – Our first batch is just about used up – 11 weeks later for a family of 7 – not too bad – I will NEVER go back to store bought. I love how my clothes feel and smell and the amount money that we saved!!! WOWWIE! – NOTE: Stir twice a day for the first week after making it and it won’t be lumpy and will look like store bought laundry soap!! Also – I added 2T of essential oils on the second batch
I have been hearing from a handful of my friends on how they make their own laundry soap and LOVE it.
I am game for saving money and knowing EXACTLY what is in items that we use.
Here are the ingredients and step by step.
- 5 gallon bucket (reusable for additional batches) I picked mine up at the Chino Valley Ace Hardware
- 1 whole bar of soap (used Ivory- it was really soft and easy to grate)
- 1 cup Washing Soda – I found this at Chino Valley Ace Hardware (not at Walgreens or Safeway)
- 1/2 cup Borax – Found this at both Safeway and at Ace Hardware
- 3 Gallons (48 cups of water) plus 4 additional cups of water
- 1 tablespoon Essential Oil (OPTIONAL) – I get mine off of the Internet – www.WFMed.com however you can get them from your local health food store.
- Boil 4 cups of water
- Grate bar of soap and add to boiling water
- Stir until dissolved (took about 4 minutes.)
- Add 3 Gallons of warm / hot water to your 5 gallon bucket. (3 gallons = 48 Cups)
- Add the dissloved soap to the bucket and stir
- Add 1 cup of washing soap and stir for 2+ minutes with a long handled spoon until dissolved
- Add 1/2 cup borax and stir until dissolved (about 3 minutes)
- OPTIONAL: add 1T of essential oil and stir. (I used lavender for our first batch)
- Place lid on tight and let it sit overnight.
Rowan kept insisting that this was white cheese:
Add the grated soap to 4 cups of boiling water:
Shelby was my official “stirir”:
Looks like really soapy water right now, however tomorrow it will be a very lumpy gel: (photos to come)