- 1/4 cup fresh ginger roots, finely diced or grated
- 1/2 cup white sugar (do not use stevia or honey!!)
- 2 cups of water
- Quart size mason jar
Yes, you can double this recipe! We do because we make a larger batch of ginger ale each time.
- Finely dice a piece of ginger root enough to fill a 1/4 cup measuring up. I do not peel it first however do wash really well.
- Place the ginger in a quart size mason jar and add 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add 2 cups of water to the mason jar.
- Stir and cover lightly. I use a piece of white cheese cloth tied on with a ribbon… but a coffee filter and rubber band works just as well. The “bug” needs to be able to breathe and the cover makes sure that fruit flies and dust do not get into it. You will need to leave this on your counter in room temperature to create a “bug”.
- Once a day for the next 5 days, stir the “bug” and add 1 tablespoon of diced or grated ginger and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- After the sixth day, you will be able to see if your bug culture is active and ready to use if there are bubbles on the top. It will begin fizzing like a carbonated soda when you stir as well. If it is not bubbling, continue for 2 more days adding sugar and additional ginger. After 9 days if your mixture is not bubbling, then toss and start again.
Once the “bug’ is ready, your can add it to other mixtures to create homemade sodas.
- To keep the bug alive and continue growing it, you will need to feed it daily.
- You can also “rest” it in the refrigerator and add your 1 tablespoon of sugar and ginger weekly
- To reactivate it, remove, let it reach room temperature and begin feeding the bug again daily.
If you are looking for the FREE Digital Scrapbooking Section, Click Here
We try to stay to a schedule on our website, but that doesn't always happen 😉
Sundays: Bible Study -:- Mondays: Meals and blog hop hosting -:- Tuesdays: Freeze-dry and Summer Crafts with Kids -:- Wednesdays: Digital Scrapbook Freebie, Crafts/Decor -:- Thursdays: Throwback Recipes from the past -:- Fridays: Homeschool/homestead and all about our family -:- Saturdays: Desserts and Tasty Treats
This blog post is shared on You're the Star Blog Hop, Friendship Friday, Simple Homestead Blog Hop, Homestead Blog Hop, Tuesdays with a Twist, Wonderful Wednesday