So this recipe wasn’t what we expected. It did not thicken the way that we expected when we took it out of the oven, but thickened up as it cooled. We also mostly quadrupled the recipe and it made a HUGE amount that even this crew couldn’t eat in one setting…. SO next time we would only double the recipe as this is A LOT of Rice pudding!
(No. 2.) Soak one-half cupful of rice in hot
water, drain and let it steam in three cupfuls of
milk until soft, then add a piece of butter, half
a cupful of sweet cream and the yolks of three
eggs, well beaten with six tablespoonfuls of
sugar. Mix thoroughly and pour in a well-buttered
pudding dish and bake. When done, whip
the whites of the eggs, sweeten and flavor, spread
on top and bake a light brown. Eat hot or cold,
with fruit sauce.
RICE PUDDING – 1893 Recipe
- 1/2 cup rice Do not use minute rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Egg whites
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c boiling water
- Soak dry rice in boiling water for 20 minutes, drain.
- Boil rice in milk for 30 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add butter into the milk rice mixture and let melt.
- Blend together cream, egg yolks and first 6T of sugar. Add into the rice mixture.
- Pour mxture into a buttered oven safe glass casserole dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Whip the egg whites into soft peaks. Gently fold in 1T of sugar and 1t of vanilla. Spread on top of the pudding and bake for another 30 minutes or until the egg whites are browned.
- Serve hot or cold.
If you are looking for the FREE Digital Scrapbooking Section, Click Here
We try to stay to a schedule on our website, but that doesn't always happen 😉
Sundays: Bible Study -:- Mondays: Meals and blog hop hosting -:- Tuesdays: Freeze-dry and Summer Crafts with Kids -:- Wednesdays: Digital Scrapbook Freebie, Crafts/Decor -:- Thursdays: Throwback Recipes from the past -:- Fridays: Homeschool/homestead and all about our family -:- Saturdays: Desserts and Tasty Treats
This blog post is shared on You're the Star Blog Hop, Friendship Friday, Simple Homestead Blog Hop, Homestead Blog Hop, Tuesdays with a Twist, Wonderful Wednesday