So, you are looking at raising rabbits for meat?
What do Rabbits eat?
Every day our rabbits get a helping of greens from our garden along with carrots. They also get to eat alfalfa pellets and a helping of Bermuda grass. During the winter time, we also grow wheat fodder so that they can continue to have fresh greens daily.
There are many different things that you can feed your rabbits. Here is a list that we use regularly.
VEGETABLES AND FRUITS USUALLY TOLERATED BY ADULT RABBITS
HRS Classification I – Higher in oxalic acid, only one per day and avoid sticking to one kind, best to rotate.
HRS Classification II – Lower in oxalic acid. Fine to feed a variety every day as a staple of your bunny’s diet.
Bolded are high in vitamin A. (Can feed more than one kind a day UNLESS they double as a class I)
|VEGETABLES USUALLY TOLERATED, BUT MORE LIKELY TO CAUSE SOME PROBLEMS IN VERY SENSITIVE RABBITS|
|VEGETABLES TO AVOID|
|OTHER FOODS TO AVOID|
They are due 28 days, or 4 weeks from the date that you bred them.
Here is an online gestational calendar for them: http://www.gestationcalculator.com/other/rabbit-pregnancy-calculator
Tips when breeding:
- Take the female to the males cages. The does can be quite territorial and attempt to hurt your buck if you introduce him into her cage.
- Any day is a good day to breed a rabbit. They do not go “into heat” until your breed them.
Let your male join with your female at least 3 times before your remove him. You will know that he has been successful after he mounts because he “eeeks”, stiffens and then falls off.
- Once your breed your two rabbits, put the male back to his own cage. Return him to your female 6-8 hours later to rebreed again.
On day #27, put a breeding box inside your does cage. She will begin plucking chest fur to make a nest for her babies.
- About Us
- Become a Teacher
- Contact Us
- Course Catalog
- For Sale On Our Homestead
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- get email updates
- Goat Milk Soap FOR SALE
- Got Rabbits?
- Instructor Registration
- Looking for digital Scrapbook FREEBIES!?!
- Meet the Crew
- Membership Catalog
- My account
- No Access
- Online Classes
- Our Adoption Story
- Our Goat Herd
- Our Homestead
- Scrapbook Album
- Student Registration